Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lazy Meatball Soup


The days are getting colder, and I find myself having bowls of soup for lunch or dinner at least twice a week.  I am still a novice chef; so I decided to scrounge around in my fridge for ingredients that might add depth and flavors to my unknown soup.  What I've discovered is that the medley of a couple vegetables, chicken broth, and frozen meatballs might be the key to what I need on some cold winter nights.


Lazy Meatball Soup
makes 2 large servings

Ingredients
  • 2 carrots, shaved and chopped into half-inch pieces
  • 2 celery stalks, shaved and chopped into inch-long pieces
  • 6 small and frozen Italian meatballs
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup penne pasta
  • salt and pepper

Directions
In a small pot, combine the chicken broth and water and keep the flame on a medium heat.  Add the carrots, celery, and pasta to the pot.  While those are heating up, put the frozen meatballs on a plate and microwave for 2-3 minutes.  When meatballs are finished, blot them with a paper towel (to remove excess oil), and cut each meatball into thirds or fourths.  Then, add them to the pot.  Add a little salt and pepper to the soup, and turn the flame to a low heat.  Put a lid on the pot until the liquid comes to a boil.  When the soup has  boiled, turn off the flame and keep the lid on for another fifteen minutes.  The soup is ready when the pasta is cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment