Sunday, October 3, 2010

Homemade Mashed Potatoes

Whoever tells you that he loves boxed mashed potatoes over homemade mashed potatoes is LYING.  I am a sucker for slightly lumpy homemade mashed potatoes.  I finally found a recipe that allows me to tweak the ingredients to fit my potato needs.  I've successfully made these mashed potatoes twice thus far, and I know that they will be my staple recipe from now on.  The consistency of the potatoes is perfect when you poke a fork in the simmering pot and the potatoes can barely stay together on your fork.  The mashing allows you to make your potatoes as smooth or lumpy as you like them.  I also tend to add more milk than the recipe calls for. 

Homemade Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients
  • 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 teaspoon of salt (TO START)
  • 5 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon 2 % reduced milk (TO START)
  • Fresh ground pepper
Directions
  1. I used golden potatoes from Maine for the first time I made these because they were on sale.  It is perfectly fine to use Yukon Gold or Red Bliss potatoes as well.  After peeling the potatoes, cut them in half down the middle.  I cube my potatoes by cutting each half in thirds, then once again down the middle (best results for cooked potatoes).   After rinsing the potatoes, put them in a short pot with the teaspoon of salt.  Add water until the potatoes are covered and bring to a boil.  When the water has boiled, reduce the heat and simmer (covered) for 20-25 minutes.  It's very important to keep an eye on the potatoes and test with a fork for the last minute or so.  
  2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat up your cream and butter together in the microwave.
  3. When the potatoes are finished cooking, drain the water from the potatoes in a colinder.  Put the hot potatoes in a bowl and add the warm cream and melted butter.  
  4. Use your potato masher to mash the potatoes until they reach your desired consistency.  Add salt and pepper for seasoning.  Add the tablespoon of milk while mashing.  (Add more milk if need be.)
  5. Continue to mash until you reach the desired consistency.  Also, keep tasting until the potatoes reach your desired level of saltiness.
This recipe usually allows me to serve 5-6 people.  It has resulted in delicious mashed potatoes that are requested by my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment