Sunday, October 3, 2010

Peach Cobbler



I never buy peaches, and they are almost never in my kitchen.  However, as fate would have it, they were given to me while on vacation about a month ago.  I remembered seeing an episode of Paula's Home Cooking with Paula Deen in which she makes this incredible-looking peach cobbler.  Of course I had to try it; this was a rare opportunity!  I followed Paula's recipe, even watching the video a few times to learn her strategies.  I had to buy the self-rising flour, but everything else was already handy.  I used a round ceramic bowl instead of one like Paula's, and it still worked out well.  The end result was very good, but I think it needed a little more cinnamon, and brown sugar would also provide a little kick to it.  This would be a good recipe for apples, too.


Peach Cobbler
Paula Deen's recipe can be found HERE (courtesy of Food Network).  Paula's antics at the 2:12 time on the video are also hilarious...she's too much sometimes!

Ingredients
  • 4 cups peeled, sliced peaches
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 1/2 cups reduced fat milk
  • ground cinnamon

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix well.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.
  3. Put the butter in a baking dish and place in the preheating oven to melt.
  4. Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping.  Pour mixture over melted butter.  Do not stir!  Spoon fruit on top, gently pour in syrup.  Sprimple top with ground cinnamon.  Batter will rise to the top during baking.
  5. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment