Friday, July 29, 2011

Crock Pot Roast


Crockpot meals are lifesavers after 8-hour workdays.  In order to have a home-cooked meal AND catch a movie by 6:30, I prepared Paula Deen's recipe for a slow-cooked pot roast.  The flavors were very good, but I didn't find anything extraordinary about this recipe.  I modified her version to match my love of potatoes, and I also used a beef bottom round...The meat was not falling apart after slow-cooking it on low for 8 hours.  I think my next pot roast attempt will need a different cut of meat.  Paula also suggests searing the meat before placing it in the Crockpot, but after this experiment, I don't think that that's necessary!


Crock Pot Roast

Ingredients
  • 1 3lb. boneless chuck roast
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Paula Deen's house seasoning (recipe below)
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 basil leaves
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup Chardonnay
  • 1 carton (32 oz.) beef broth
  • 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 2 cups baby carrots
  • water

Directions
  1. Sprinkle and rub roast on all sides with house seasoning.  Place roast in Crockpot or slow-cooker.
  2. Add onions, potatoes, carrots, bay leaves, garlic, and cream of mushroom soup.  Add the Chardonnay and beef broth.  Then, add enough water to cover all of the ingredients.
  3. Cook on LOW for at least 8 hours.

House Seasoning
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder

1 comment:

  1. It was good, but I think you are right about the cut of meat. Also, try red potatoes next time, they lend themselves better to this recipe. And the movie was great so I'm glad we made it with a full stomach.
    -DS

    ReplyDelete